Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Skin You're In

Some days your skin just fits better than other days. On the average day we walk around in skin that fits like the perfect pair of jeans – a little give when you need it – just tight enough to make your ass look good, but not so tight it cuts you up the middle – Its comfortable – it fits – its good- Today I ask nothing special of anyone – I can handle what they give me – I can take what comes - People can come and go – it’s okay – I don’t need anyone close – but I don’t need them to go away – the world seems manageable today

It works

Then there are those huge days in your life – a new baby – a new job – a new lease on life – your skin is suddenly small – you are so full of your accomplishment it feels as if you might burst wide open – it’s tight, yet still magically comfortable – it works and it is still good - Today I want everyone closer – be here – celebrate with me – celebrate me – tell me you see what I see today – I might not see it tomorrow – I want proof - stay close enough that I wont burst – keep me in – keep me grounded – keep me here

It works

The days I dread are the days that it just doesn’t fit. You spend your whole day tucking and twisting, pinching and puffing, turning and avoiding so no one realizes that you can’t fill your own skin – so no one notices that you just aren’t enough – so no one sees that you aren’t what they think you are – those days are uncomfortable, scary, and not so good
Today I want everyone gone – I want space – I want to hide what I think they might see – I don’t want them to know – What if they don’t like me this way – what if they see that the shucking and jiving – the laugh and the smile are there to make them comfortable – what if they find out that I am small, and weak – that I am scared and unsure – that the bravado is to keep them away – I speak first so I have the home court advantage – I walk strong and tall so no one will question – because if they did I might not have what it takes to back the walk- Go away – let me be – don’t ask- wait until it fits.
It works

No comments: