Tuesday, November 4, 2008

thoughts after Obamas victory

Looking for a book to read - try this one

It has changed the way I look at the world. In it a very simple but mind blowing concept is discussed. The difference between power and force. That power is based in the truth - that it is self sustaining and based in love and faith and trust.

that force is based in fear and to lead by force there has to be a risk - something to lose - that a belief can be planted that unless you follow the force you will lose more than if you stand up for what you believe. It can not be self sustaining and is not a natural choice.

When I first heard Barack Obama speak I said that there was something about him - that he was leading from a place of power while I saw McCain leading from a very familiar place of force

I said I heard something in his words that spoke to me on a level I didnt realize was listening - that he touched something in me that was so real and so amazing

I heard power and I felt love and honor and faith and trust

and tonight listening to his acceptance speech and listening him invoke the words and the timbre of Lincoln and King.....and listening him talk about what we need to do - and how this victory and this job was ours - not just his

I just kept crying - sobbing really - I couldnt stop - many times during his speech I just broke down in waves of un-controllable tears - not tears of sadness - the kind of tears you cry at a wedding - or when a baby is born

it felt like hope - and a blessing and a long time coming

it felt like something I have been holding my breath for - something I have been waiting for for a long long time now

it felt like i was crying tears for a lot of people - not just for me - it felt like I was part of something bigger - a wave of hope and pride - of relief and joy - of celebration for a day that we thought would never come

and while I am so scared - so nervous - so afraid of what will happen and how people will react - I am so excited about the possibility of a country that is led by a man who expects and encourages us to be a part - and to be a part of something that is grounded in such power

No comments: